Guwahati Regional Center
The Centre, through its activities in the North East, aims to draw attention of policy makers, planners for human development along with the general public for understanding North- East India in terms of its cultural diversity, unique traditions, life styles and ecology. Conferences, publications, research and field studies, festivals, exhibitions, audio-visual documentations, artist’s workshops, crafts demonstrations and capacity building are some of the activities under the North East programme.
IGNCA has developed rich cultural archives on North East India. Some major activities in the recent past:
- Purvotari – Spirit of North East India: Conference, Exhibitions and Cultural Performances in Delhi.
- Celebrating Inter-Cultural Dialogue between North East and South East Asia: International conference, exhibition and cultural festival throughout the North East and in Delhi.
- Indigenous Theatre Festival of North East India in April, 2011.
- National Symposium-cum-Workshopon Significance of Bamboo in the Socio-Cultural & Economic Development of North East India – A Celebration of Bamboo Culture in collaboration with Department of Cultural & Creative Studies, North-Eastern Hill University, Shillong & Riti Academy of Visual Arts, Shillong in North Eastern Hill University, Meghalaya from in March, 2016.
Major ongoing research project:
- Documenting the Textile Traditions of the North Eastern States of India in collaboration with National Institute of Design, Ahmadabad. It is a composite design study of fibres, fabrics, looms, tools, weaving techniques and dyeing methods, and also narratives, myth, migration stories, and unique socio-cultural practices of the indigenous communities.
Projects / Papers / Exhibition Details
- Spirit of the North East
- Arts & Crafts of North East
- Gita Govinda – 12th Century Sanskrit Poem on Radha and Krishna: Adopted in Painting, Music and Dance. Having content from Manipur and other states.
- Sungkong Call of the Log Drum – an Exhibition of Milada Gangulis Collection of Naga Art Objects.
- The Angami Fire and Water(Vibha Joshi)
|4th Nov. 2007||IGNCA Supporting Social Organizations in North East, Punjab Kesari|
|11th – 14th Sep. 2007||Rare Manuscripts to be made available Digitally|
|19-06-2007||The Asian Age, New Delhi – Revival for Indira Arts Centre|
|June 2007||News from North East in Regional Language|
|07-06-2007||The Assam Tribune, Guwahati – Development threatening culture|
|06-06-2007||Guwahati – National Seminar|
|06-06-2007||The Assam Tribune, Guwahati – IGNCA prog at Kalakshetra|
|29-05-2007||The Assam Tribune, Guwahati – Lessons from the past to enrich the present|
|28-05-2007||The Dainik Janambhumi, Guwahati in Regional Language|
- Indigenous Theatre Festival of North East of India (2nd April – 10th April, 2011)
- International Symposium and Festival(workshop and performances) North East – 2010