Ethnographic Studies and Collection
The field based research and documentation initiatives of the Division have given rise to a repository of valuable arts and crafts objects and are presently preserved in the cultural archives of the Division. The core collection comprises originals, reproductions, and reprographic material. It has a rich collection of masks, puppets and scroll paintings.
Some major collections:
- Photography Collection on life styles of different communities.
- Masks from India and many other countries throughout the world.
- Puppets (leather puppets, glove puppets, rod puppets, string puppets etc).
- North Eastern Textiles.
- Phulkari, Kantha, Rabari, Chikankari Embroidery.
- Scrolls (Patua, Pattam Katha, Devnarayan ki Phad etc).
- 1200 meter Mahabharata scroll by Santokba Dudhat.
- 250 meter Indira Priyadarshini Scroll by Santokba Dudhat.
- Nakshi dolls from Andhra Pradesh and Krishna dolls from Manipur.
- Paintings (Madhubani, Gond, Kalighat, Bhil, Kalamkari, Pata Chitra etc).
- Bamboo craft and basketry from North East India.
- Milada Ganguly Collection comprising rare Naga artefacts and paintings from Nagaland.