The library concentrates on encyclopaedias, dictionaries, bibliographies, atlases and catalogues of unpublished manuscripts of Indian and Asian origin.
- General Collection – Kala Nidhi Reference Library houses a collection of over 2.5 lac print and Non Print material. This section not only has books on arts but with every aspect of Indology. Books on Masks, Religion and Philosophy and Arts &History are the finest collection of its kind.
- Rare books – The library houses over 1000 volume of rare publications, some even from the 18th and 19th century. Mostly written by members of British army and navy, surveyors, engineers, travelers etc these books give a firsthand account of their travels and observations of India.
- Personal collection – Kala Nidhi was fortunate to have received the personal collections of ten eminent Indian scholars and artists. These books have been kept separately, properly classified and catalogued in the mezzanine floor of the library.
- Area collection – This collection is the outcome of various research and cultural exchanges held with South-East Asia, East Asia and Eurasia.
- Series and catalogues – The library is building a complete corpus of printed material on Catalogue of manuscripts of indic and Asian origin published in all parts of the world.
- Bibliography – A special endeavour of the library is to compile bibliographies of particular scholars especially whose works are multi-disciplinary and multi-lingual
- Documentation – This section of the library focuses on collecting and preserving all the material pertaining to the events or academic programmes organized by the IGNCA.