Adi Drishya Department
Dr. V. S. Wakankar Centenary Celebration
(May, 2019-May, 2020)
The Indira Gandhi National Centre for the Arts (IGNCA) has conceived a major academic programme, which relates to explore artistic manifestations emanating from man’s primary sense perceptions. Most probably, man’s first awareness of the world around him came through his primeval sense of sight and his ability to hear. This rock art forms a crucial component of the Adi Drishya Programme.
Dr. Vishnu Shridhar Wakankar (4th May, 1919 – 3rd May, 1988) was an Indian archaeologist, Epigraphist, Artist and also an expert of Numismatics. From 1954 onwards, he carried out extensive field-work on rock art in India and abroad – Europe, North America and the Middle East. It is estimated that he discovered and documented some 4,000 decorated shelters in India. The most important of his discoveries is Bhimbetka (Madhya Pradesh) in 1957 which has one of the largest concentrations of rock paintings in India. These caves were declared as World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2003. The centenary year of Padmashree Dr. V. S. Wakankar commenced from May, 2019.
On this ocassion, IGNCA under its Adi Drishya department has organised various programmes as a part of the Dr. V. S. Wakankar Centenary Celebration.
List of programmes held during Centenary Celebration of Dr. Wakankar.
- Publications Released on Glorious Bhimbetka: A Catalogue Based on IGNCA’s Dr. Yashodhar Mathpal Collection
- Publications Released on Rock Art Heritage of Northeast India
- Fourth Memorial Lecture on Vishnu Shridhar Wakankar: The Chief Architect of Rock Art Studies in India (Booklet released on Fourth Dr. V. S. Wakankar Memorial Lecture)
- Webinar – The Legacy of Dr. V S Wakankar by Adi Drishya (Rock Art Department) (12/05/2020)
- Artist Workshop at Bhimbetka (20/11/2019 – 22/11/2019)
- Brainstorming Session – Centenary Celeberations of Padmashree Dr. V. S. Wakankar (3/11/2019)
- Mobile Exhibition on The Legacy of Dr. Vishnu Shridhar Wakankar (21/09/2019 – 30/09/2019)
- Virtual Exhibition on The Legacy of Dr. Vishnu Shridhar Wakankar (4th May 2020 at 3:00PM.)
- A Temporary Exhibition on The Legacy of Dr. Vishnu Sridhar Wakankar (2/05/2019 – 4/05/2019)
- National Seminar on Rock Art Research in India (2/05/2019 – 4/05/2019)
- Cultural Programme – A Sitar Recital by Ms. Smita Nagdev Centenary Celebrations of Padmashree Dr. V. S. Wakankar (3/05/2019)
- 3rd Dr. Vishnu Shridhar Wakankar Memorial Lecture (3/04/2019)
- Table Calendar 2019